Unconventional thinking about the Middle East.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Good-Bye, New York Sun

The New York Sun, a daily newspaper that I’ve been affiliated with for the last four years as a columnist and a contributing editor, has ceased publication as of a couple of days ago. It simply ran out of money.

I will miss it, sorely.

As another NYSun colleague put it, “One doesn’t realize what one has until it’s gone,” adding, “It was a plucky newspaper, hitting about its weight class; it was a joy to work for such an outfit.”

I am immensely grateful for the NYSun. I must thank my good friend, Eli Lake, for suggesting that I write for the Sun, and I must thank Ira Stoll who gambled and took me on. I have deep admiration for both Ira and Eli, and I will always be in their debt for awarding me this opportunity.

I’ve had great editors who helped me write better, more disciplined commentary. I may have resented the editing at the time, but all I harbor now is appreciation and the fondest of memories.

I met a lot of you for the first time on the pages of the NYSun, which gave me a unique forum to publish some controversial views.

Over the last four years, I’ve written about ninety Op-Eds for the NYSun. I wanted to share some of them with you today. Initially, I had wanted to choose three columns that I’m particularly proud of, but have chosen 16 instead. Sorry. But it is remarkable that I was allowed so much freedom to express these ideas, and I hope to continue this tradition either here on this blog or at other Op-Ed pages.

I have a brief description of the content in brackets, and I hope you choose and read a couple that tickle your fancy.

Fallujah in Focus (Sunni insurgency, militant ideology)
October 21, 2004

Foreign Policy Judo (Russia, Putin, Chechnya, Sufism)
January 27, 2005

A Gadhafi Policy (Col. G, John Bolton, Going Nuts)
March 17, 2005

Dances With Terrorists (Condi Rice, Sunni insurgency)
June 16, 2005

The Saudi Mega-Plot (Saudis, Lebanon)
June 9, 2005

Egypt’s Faded Elegance (Cairo, Modernism)
September 21, 2005

Retro-Revolutionaries (Iran’s Crazies)
December 28, 2005

Shabby Inheritance (Bashar al-Asad, Alawites)
March 16, 2006

Human Torpedo (Suicide Bombers, Terrorists)
May 31, 2006

Iraq is Succeeding (Spotting a trend, insurgency’s defeat)
October 25, 2006

Stand-Off in Beirut (Lebanese politics)
December 22, 2006

Absolutely Worth It (Why I’d supported the Iraq War, and still do)
March 23, 2007

Smug in Damascus (Syria, Lebanon-Israel War)
May 23, 2007

Enduring Legacy (Bush, Spreading democracy)
June 11, 2007

A Paladin Gears Up for War (Iraq’s future role in the region, Saudi Arabia)
November 1, 2007

What Obama Needs to Learn Fast (Al-Qaeda’s Caliphate, al-Baghdadi)
July 21, 2008

Thank you, New York Sun (2002-2008)


Blogger Faith said...


I might never have found you if it were not for the NY Sun and that would have been my loss. You were WAY ahead of the pack on reporting about the Anbar Awakening and your insights are fresh, well informed and almost always spot on.

7:47 PM, October 03, 2008

Blogger elf2006real said...

Good luck to the staff of the Sun.

9:20 AM, October 04, 2008

Blogger bg said...


aww.. i'm so sad about this.. :(


1:22 PM, October 04, 2008


Post a Comment

<< Home