Unconventional thinking about the Middle East.

Monday, October 13, 2008

I am clearly a paranoid nutcase

'Body of Lies' is an okay film. I guess I’d agree with 90 percent of its message on jihadism and how this war should be fought. But some stylistic details made the purist in me cringe. For example, when writing-in an Iranian immigrant to Jordan, why would the script writers (I haven’t read the original novel by David Ignatius) call her ‘Aysha’. Having the name Aysha in Iran would not make one popular, even if one were from Iran’s Sunni minority. It would be like a Canadian white supremacist calling his son ‘Hitler’—just isn’t done that often.

Same goes for an Al-Qaeda type minor character called 'Mehdi'. Better, more sect-specific names could have been used. Plus, there isn’t an Alusi family in Jordan.

But maybe I’m nitpicking too much. However, there’s one thing that I couldn’t stand: turning the Jordanian mukhaberat into slick super-spies. I have some experience in this regard. I’ve even defended the GID on this blog. But they are just not that good. No one is. The movie sustains some other silly myths about spycraft (just as many other of Ignatius’ novels, and BTW, Ignatius does in fact think that the Jordanians are “all that”), and of course, the protagonist (Leo DiCaprio, sometimes speaking in disjointed Iraqi Arabic) develops a conscience, goes native and walks away from this difficult and morally challenging life on the battlefront.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We've seen, read and heard these narratives before. But the stuff on jihadist ideology, tactics and the comparison between SIGINT and HUMINT all serve to redeem the movie, just a little bit.

But what really struck me were the pre-movie trailers. Now, I’ve long sensed that Hollywood tries to brainwash audiences with these trailers right ahead of election seasons, but there was one trailer that really crossed the line, in my view.

Will Smith has a new movie coming out called 'Seven Pounds' (you can watch the trailer video at this link). What I can make out from the plot is that he plays a government official who will ‘save’ seven random people from their plight. The music is upbeat and euphoric, sort of like a salvation hymn.

Smith wears the same suits as Barack Obama, and his hair is kinda cut like the candidate’s.

And then, for apparently no reason at all, we see Will Smith emerging from the sea wearing black swimming trunks. I think the editors of this trailer intended the audience to make this association (two screen shots from 'Seven Pounds' trailer, and a famous photo of Obama's):

So an Obama-like character may be out there to save you, is the basic message here.

Again, Hollywood is being a little too creepy in its efforts at mind control. But don’t listen to me, I’m just an alarmist loon struck down with a bad case of paranoia.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nibras --

I'm sorry to post this here, but what do you think about this story? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/mccain-transition-chief-a_n_134595.html
I realize it is from a biased source and I'm not looking to take McCain down here. I'm just interested in your general thoughts.

4:57 PM, October 14, 2008

Blogger Nibras Kazimi نبراس الكاظمي said...

Dear anon,

You'll find my response in the original thread where you posted this link.



5:17 PM, October 14, 2008

Blogger Brian H said...

I have no hard proof, but lots of anecdotal testimony suggests, that there is a kind of Bradley-like backlash building to all this mind-control PC-intimidation (not to mention hooligan intimidation) shoving The Ossiah down everyone's throats.

Try browsing the blog.pumapac.org comments for a day (if you are real good at drinking from a firehose). You'll see what I mean.

1:12 AM, October 17, 2008

Blogger Nibras Kazimi نبراس الكاظمي said...

Hi anon "ali rashid",

I just wanted to add one thing: it seems that Waas was inaccurate in identifying Timmons as McCain's Transition Team Leader.

Here's a different set of facts:

"While Podesta is overseeing Obama's transition, McCain's effort is being led by John Lehman, who was Navy secretary in the Reagan administration and a member of the commission that investigated the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001."

Here's the source:




5:10 PM, October 17, 2008

Blogger Eye Raki said...

Salam Nibras, I managed to watch this film tonight (the UK is slow).

It wasn't just the Iranian Ayesha and terrorist Mehdi that was weird. The cheif terrorist was dressed more like Moqtada al-Sadr than Osama Bin Laden. Turban, jubba, abaya, everything. He could pass off as a Shia cleric in Qum.

Take care,

6:36 PM, November 21, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

29047126483369175 I play dofus Replica Watches for one year, I Replica Rolex Watches want to get some Replica Watch kamas to buy Replica Chanel Watches item for my character. So, I search "Replica Swiss Watches" on google and found many website. As Exact Replica Graham Watch the tips from the forum, I just review the Swiss Replica Watches websites and choose some Replica Montblanc Watches quality sites to Replica Cartier Watches compare the price, and go to their Replica Breguet Watches online support to make Replica Breitling Watches the test. And Last Chaos Gold I decide to use Replica BRM Watch at the end. And Tag Heuer Replica Watch that is the Replica IWC Watch beginning..

11:33 PM, September 14, 2009

Blogger oakley oil rig sunglasses said...

In terms of an example, any striking brow pub huyg7lp on your own Cheap Oakley Sunglasses may well efficiently attract viewers' consideration away from the hair loss brain. Alternatively, huge Oakley Frogskins together with towering wats or temples may well seem excellent about guys that have extended noses. This is the next principle in which can be applied about Oakley Frogskin regarding guys. Several guys believe here is the hardest a single. One of the most essential things concerning investing in a best couple of elegant Oakley Radar is always to realize which usually model of shape could be right for an Oakley Radar Sunglasses individual.

4:08 AM, July 27, 2011


Post a Comment

<< Home