Unconventional thinking about the Middle East.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

To all the Palin haters out there...

I was wondering how I would craft a defense of Gov. Sarah Palin, a lady with whom I share very few domestic political ideals, but whose grace and courage I find inspiring. And then, all of a sudden, Victor Davis Hanson crafts a defense worthy of Sparta's 300.

An Instructive Candidacy: What Sarah Palin taught us about ourselves

I'd like to add two things: my own gut feeling tells me that anti-Palinism has jumped the shark, with a popular anti-media backlash to be expected in tow. Another instinct tells me that the news stories about Palin "going rogue" will resonate with certain voters. I know, I know: the polls, the polls! These two trends may not have sufficient time to ripple out in the last ten days.

Yeah, that's probably true, but I know this too: fate can be very cruel. Just ask Darius. And the way that some in the media and in politics have been gleefully celebrating the end of McCain-Palin bears all the marks of a great Greek tragedy, one whose full implications may unfurl on Nov. 5. Yeah, sure, this could be a bad case of wishful thinking on my part. Yet, I can't shake this feeling in my gut that tells me to fight on, and expect victory. There's something about how McCain people find instant camaraderie that tells me that it ain't over just yet.


Blogger Louise said...

I agree 100%. I think we just witnessed that here in Canada. The pollsters haven't got a clue. The vote will be more about sticking it to the biased media than about the politicians and their platforms.

10:25 PM, October 25, 2008

Anonymous movie fan said...

the McCain camp has been sending mixed signals since it's inception... Sarah Palin can't even keep up with McCain's endless wavering between "straight talker" and crooked politician

1:19 AM, October 26, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's about time for regime change in the media. Solo

5:46 AM, October 26, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were John McCain, I wouldn't want to win in this environment. Nor would I, if I were Barrack Obama. But with so many of the intelligent Republicans telling us they've lost, I find it hard to believe that the remaining diehards know what they're talking about, beyond wishful thinking. Christopher Buckley, Peggy Noonan, George Will, Christopher Hitchens, David Brooks, etc... etc...
Nibras, you're very intelligent, but you've bet on the wrong horse. I would've fully understood had it been Hillary, but she didn't make it. Let's face it: Obama ran a better campaign than Hillary's and McCain's. You could argue that McCain is better for the country, but that's not how politics works.

9:38 PM, October 26, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Christopher Buckley, Peggy Noonan, George Will, Christopher Hitchens, David Brooks, etc... etc..."

I hope you do realize that these people you have cited are critics, they have not done much for others throughout their lives, except to sneer and evaluate the success or failure of others. When did our society elevate the critic above the doer?

Say what you want about Palin but she came up against incredible odds: she didn't come from money, she didn't come from an Ivy League education, and she took on her own party's bosses when she was still a political neophyte, AND SHE MANAGED TO GET HERSELF ELECTED AS GOVERNOR!!! If you think that is an easy task then you have a lot of learning to get done about politics.
Do you know that in the political pecking order a Governor is more prestigious than a Senator? A Governor actually has to get things done whereas even states with one congressional district get to send two senators to DC (one of them is Delaware, another is Alaska--do you see the irony between the Palin and Biden picks?). Think about it. Don't just parrot what the Obama-smitten media tell you to say.
Critics are necessary for any society but let us keep things in perspective. Are any of those names you cited electable to any office? Do they have what it takes to become a leader?

Governor Sarah Palin has answered these questions already.

7:56 AM, October 27, 2008

Anonymous Hope said...

Thank you Nibras! I have never seen anything as slanted as what I have seen during this election cycle. I am actually afraid that "freedom of speech" may be on the decline in the United States of America.

I am a life long democrat, and I am voting for Mccain and Palin.

8:49 AM, October 27, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...


Michael Malone is giving you a run on your money. He has written a magnificent essay about pro-Obama media bias in this election:


8:57 AM, October 27, 2008

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every woman who voted for McCain/Palin should have their vaginas sewn shut, put in a moose suit and sent to Alaska to be shot like the wolves - there are too many of them and they need to be maimed and killed.!

6:45 AM, November 05, 2008

Blogger 艾丰 said...

canada goose outlet store
ralph lauren femme
the north face jackets
the north face outlet
tory burch outlet
camisetas futbol baratas
ugg outlet
rolex watches
ralph lauren uk
michael kors outlet clearance
ugg outlet
iphone case uk
tiffany outlet
adidas uk
basketball shoes,basketball sneakers,lebron james shoes,sports shoes,kobe bryant shoes,kobe sneakers,nike basketball shoes,running shoes,mens sport shoes,nike shoes
coach outlet
louis vuitton bags
air jordan 13
mizuno running shoes
gucci outlet
michael kors factory outlet
fred perry polo
cartier outlet
cheap jordan shoes
louis vuitton pas cher
ugg clearance
ugg boots clearance
ugg outlet
louis vuitton handbags outlet
nike outlet
uggs outlet
north face jacket
nike store uk

1:58 AM, August 12, 2016


Post a Comment

<< Home