Unconventional thinking about the Middle East.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Iraq Policy: Who's in Charge?

I have a new post out today on Hudson-NY about PM Maliki's visit to Washington, and the confusion over who really controls the Iraqi file within the Obama administration.

I also put in something that I don't believe anyone has reported on:

It is in this vein that Washington’s decision to quietly shut down a key intelligence operation to keep tabs on the Iranians in November 2008 seems so misplaced and astonishing. The intelligence operation partnered up twenty five Iraqi intelligence agents with a like number of CIA agents. It began in late 2003, and its size remained the same. They were headquartered in a building separate from the Iraqi Intelligence Service HQ, and operated independently of any Iraqi oversight. Their chief mission was to track and, where possible, to offset Iran’s intelligence and operational footprint inside Iraq, and to follow leads back across the border into Tehran, Damascus and Beirut. As can be expected with such operations, some of its work is questionable; it partook in Iraqi politics, even exercising violence through a separate paramilitary arm, at times in an illegal and unethical manner. However, its work was crucial in keeping the Iranians—specifically the Iranian Revolutionary Guard which took the lead after mid-2004—on their toes.
Read the whole thing here...

I was hosted on Alhurra TV on July 22 (episode # 1395) to discuss these issues, and it can be watched (in Arabic) here. The big story, of course, is that US intelligence had signed a protocol for negotiating with an insurgent umbrella group this spring in Istanbul, and the Iraqi government is up in arms over this revelation, first made on July 15 by the General Secretary of the 'Political Council of the Iraqi Resistance' Ali al-Juburi during an interview with Aljazeera. I'll have more to say about this over the next few days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eye Raki said...

I liked the 'subtle' way you ticked off Nujaifi with regards to the US forces in Iraq. "Nahnu man adabna amreeka" I bet you didn't see that one coming.

6:08 AM, July 27, 2009

 
Anonymous Barbara Will said...

Excellent article , i just share it with my friend of Italy. I Stumble UP your blog post , you will notice an increase of traffic within 24 hours for targeted people. Cheers . Feel free to check out my site Camping when you got time.

3:25 AM, August 08, 2009

 
Anonymous Jacob King said...

Nice, I think it could be interesting to add some more entries following this one, and probably it's not only me having this opinion. Cheers! Please come visit my site child therapist when you got time.

3:27 AM, August 08, 2009

 
Blogger poll said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbee and your success is very much an inspiration for me. Please come visit my site Stockton Business Directory when you got time.

5:01 AM, August 15, 2009

 
Blogger poll said...

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog? Please come visit my site Chula Vista Business Directory when you got time.

5:02 AM, August 15, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

29047126483369175 I play dofus Replica Watches for one year, I Replica Rolex Watches want to get some Replica Watch kamas to buy Replica Chanel Watches item for my character. So, I search "Replica Swiss Watches" on google and found many website. As Exact Replica Graham Watch the tips from the forum, I just review the Swiss Replica Watches websites and choose some Replica Montblanc Watches quality sites to Replica Cartier Watches compare the price, and go to their Replica Breguet Watches online support to make Replica Breitling Watches the test. And Last Chaos Gold I decide to use Replica BRM Watch at the end. And Tag Heuer Replica Watch that is the Replica IWC Watch beginning..

11:37 PM, September 14, 2009

 
Blogger MulberryNews said...

Distinct design vbaghnm and style, figure, coloring, sizes along with design and style involving rounded eye Oakley Frogskins are generally around to fulfill numerous requirements currently. Furthermore, you could possibly invest in some low cost Oakley Frogskin using exceptional along with cut-throat price ranges. Normally, some brand name Cheap Oakley Sunglasses will certainly price tag a lot of cash flow to make certain that will numerous folks are unable to find the money for these people. getting a low cost Oakley Jawbone are unable to just guarantee the high quality, but in addition commit a lesser amount of a lot of cash flow to the various Oakley Jawbones other expending.

2:29 AM, July 26, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home